SAS Alumni international
Articles of Incorporation
Look the word up...
To find out the meaning, to read the definition of the word, to read up on the proper usage of the word... use a dictionary.
Vocabulary Builder - Select the choice that best defines the word
1. My uncle, who works in Canada, in a letter asked my mother how Ms Luming was doing. He and Ms Luming were supposed to get married but my uncle had to leave suddenly because of a job offer he couldn't afford to miss. At the airport, he left behind and gave Ms Luming a memento of his undying love for her. It was a locket that belonged to my grandmother. What does "memento" mean?
(a) fake symbolism
(b) living testament
(c) significant symbol
(d) memorial item
2. My aunt visited with us last Christmas. She was vacationing from Australia. She brought me a gift wrapped in a silk scarf. When I opened the package it had a note in it: "This gift is your souvenir of my visit." What is the meaning of the word "souvenir"?
3. "Get away from me, you inconsiderate fool..." she was crying as she screamed the words. What does "inconsiderate" mean?
(a) cruel, wicked, and wild
(b) lacking consideration for the feelings of others
(c) lacking in courteousness, politeness
(d) lacking in manners, couth, and upbringing
4. She took off into the wilderness alone. Nobody cared. Then news came back that they found a body of a dead woman in the thicket close by. Many pondered over what may have happened but no one knew the truth. What is the meaning of the word "pondered"?
(a) reflected and deeply thought about the issue
(b) thought about the issue in a superficial way
(c) thought about the event as passing
(d) thought about it deliberately and making conclusions
5. There will be a cataclysmic event tonight. A meteor shower is expected to bombard the southern hemisphere. What does the word "hemisphere" mean?
(a) half circle
(b) lower latitudes
(c) southern skies
(d) half the globe
6. He made a conscientious attempt to save his mother's life. What does the word "conscientious" mean?
(a) deliberate and purposeful
(b) token and symbolic
(c) bought and purchased
(d) regretful and rueful
7. She made a graceful exit. What does "exit" mean?
(c) leaving the scene
(d) all of the above
8. Which of the following statements is incorrect?
(a) Jessica ate the pudding.
(b) Jessica eaten the pudding.
(c) Jessica eats the pudding.
(d) Jessica will eat the pudding.
9. Which of the following statements is incorrect?
(a) Brisk me home.
(b) Take me home.
(c) Drive me home.
(d) Walk me home.
10. Which of the following statements sounds insincere?
(a) I will give you the moon and the stars.
(b) I will swim the seven seas to come to you.
(c) I will lie down on a bed of nails.
(d) I love the way you scream.
© Copyright 2010-2015 All rights reserved. Website designed and maintained by SASAi, Inc. Nothing on this web site or its associated pages, comments, links, e-mail responses, articles or other communications and information are intended to be taken as free and available for copying, reproduction, and taking without expressed written permission. This web site is the virtual home of St Augustine School Alumni International, Inc.
Articles of Incorporation