SAS Alumni international
Articles of Incorporation
Curiosity and Precision
Science takes a curious mind while Math is an exact science. Do you have what it takes to be curious and precise?
go to the mechanical page
II. Math & Science
These are multiple choice items. Select the best answer by marking the letter of your choice.
1. Room dimensions: width=40feet length=120feet. Solve for area.
(a) 4800 sq feet
(b) 4800 cu feet
(c) 4800 cu yards
(d) 4800 sq inches
Select the most correct answer.
2. Distance from the earth to the moon is 238,857 miles. Light travels at 186,282 miles per second. Solve for Time it takes for light to travel from moon to earth? Solve to 4 decimal places.
3. Speed of light in seconds is what percentage of the distance from earth to the moon?
4. Living cells of both plants and animals are enclosed by a semipermeable membrane called the cell membrane, which regulates the flow of liquids and of dissolved solids and gases into and out of the cell. This process is known as
The Pythagoras Theorem
To answer question 5 refer to the following illustration:
Years ago, a man named Pythagoras found an amazing fact about triangles (see the green triangle):
If the triangle had a right angle (90°) ...
and you made a square on each of the three sides, then ...
the biggest square had the
exact same area
as the other two squares put together!
So according to
The longest side of the triangle is called the "hypotenuse," so the formal definition is:
In a right angled triangle: the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.
5. At 4PM the shadow of a tree is 3 ft long. From the tip of the shadow to the top of the tree is 5 ft. How tall is the tree?
(a) 3 ft
(b) 4 ft
(c) 5 ft
(d) 6 ft
To answer questions 6 thru 10 use the water cycle explanation. There are
important processes that make up the water cycle.
- Condensation occurs when a gas is changed into a liquid.
- Infiltration is where rain water soaks into the ground, through the soil and underlying rock layers.
- Much of the water that returns to Earth as precipitation runs off the surface of the land, and flows down hill into streams, rivers, ponds and lakes.
- the process where a liquid, in this case water, changes from its liquid state to a gaseous state.
- When the temperature and atmospheric pressure are right, the small droplets of water in clouds form larger droplets and precipitation occurs. The raindrops fall to Earth.
- As plants absorb water from the soil, the water moves from the roots through the stems to the leaves. Once the water reaches the leaves, some of it evaporates from the leaves, adding to the amount of water vapor in the air. This process of evaporation through plant leaves is called transpiration.
6. What is the opposite of evaporation?
7. Rain water soaking into the ground and rock layers is called
8. Raindrops fall to earth because of
9. TRUE or FALSE: There are six important processes that make up the rain cycle.
10. When you turn on the airconditioning unit in a bus, water droplets form on the closed window panes. This process is known as
© Copyright 2010-2015 All rights reserved. Website designed and maintained by SASAi, Inc. Nothing on this web site or its associated pages, comments, links, e-mail responses, articles or other communications and information are intended to be taken as free and available for copying, reproduction, and taking without expressed written permission. This web site is the virtual home of St Augustine School Alumni International, Inc.
Articles of Incorporation